Thursday, June 26, 2014

Come with me now - Tri season is in full swing!



This year’s start to the season began with Rev3 back in Knoxville for an Oly.  Fortune smiled and I was entertained by teammate Holly Fraccaro on the ride.
With 5 triathlons under my belt in 2013, I am approaching this year in a much more relaxed fashion … perhaps too relaxed.  I forgot my helmet and had to stop at Dick’s to get a new one before Sunday.  As I write, I’m cringing to think my coach will ultimately read this….@tribirdie
Friday we rolled into town early enough to reconnect with our Rev3 team and help with the Glow Run.  Zoe Dix, the spunky and delightful daughter of Jamie Dix, was kind enough to let us be her entourage as she ran
the mile Glow Run.  


Dix Family- Post Successes
Glow run Antics







Obligatory run warm up...or something

Friday night found us out on Gay Street in downtown Knox where a table full of Team Rev3 kept me in stitches until it was time to retire. Thank you again Jeff Vanis for picking up my jacket!
Saturday I rolled out of bed pretty late, hit the Kids Tri in time to see some pretty terrific and inspiring family memories being made – experiences to be remembered by both parents and kids.  Jamie’s son did the tri and was the picture of persistence right down to the finish chute where a big hug from mom waited.  After the Kids Tri wrapped up a couple of us hit a local bike shop for some tweaks and then on to the SBR sponsored practice swim. 
GOberg at Bearden Bike in Knox
Post bike run through Saturday
who's that in Shimmer Suit ?!
WOW  - what a difference this year, from  58.5 degrees in the water to pushing 70, still wetsuit legal but not breathtakingly cold.  With almost a sense of giddiness I jumped in for a quick swim to the first bridge to get a handle on the currents and feel of the water this year.  Gentle reminders are the best -- open water swimming requires more of my brain than the pool.  Post swim a couple of us took a quick spin on the bike to shake out the legs and run through gears.  I figured the 1 mile “race” the night before gave my legs a good feel for the run.   Transition was in a slightly different place this year.  Last year it was in the parking garage and while that was excellent for last year’s bad weather, I prefer the openness and sunlight of a parking lot.  I got transition all set up except for a few add-ons Sunday morning.  
 Mellow Mushroom was the spot of choice for dinner and with the late arrival of Dave Callahan there were laughs to spare.  We all went to bed with the geriatrics…








All in all Sunday was pretty uneventful.  And with a face like Oilar's and a big hug to see you off how could you not have a solid showing !? 
I found the swim cooler than I anticipated and the current was not my friend.  I swam better in 2013 but I continue to work on sighting in the open water.   Transition to the bike this year was phenomenally better, not only is the distance shorter in the open parking lot, my feet weren’t frozen so I didn’t feel like I was running on chipped glass.  Shout out to teamie Lana Burl for saving my A$$  with Powerblends.  Not only did I forget my helmet but I also forgot my nutrition.  I was pretty excited this year for a dry ride to see how successfully I could ride the course and I’m guessing by the guy that yelled at me on the run for passing him on the downhills (he outweighed me by a solid 20lbs) that I did alright.  Starting late in the game this season my speed wasn’t where I wanted it to be but my nutrition was spot on.  Since I know I can hit the speed by the end of the season with focused training, I’m happy to start to feel like I have the nutrition piece in hand.  Bike to run was again uneventful and I as usual I should have been more aggressive in the run, keeping too much in the tank kept me from under a 9 min mile which despite the Achilles issues this year should have been doable. 
I improved my time year over year so I’ll take that in hand and look to continue to push the edges, with a strategies around staying in that uncomfortable Z4 and realizing that relaxing and letting it ebb and flow like the tide is what racing  is all about.



Packing up for the ride home








I have an ever evolving view of triathlon, what it means in my life and who graces my life as a result. That's you Wolf family!

The continuous focus on discipline and incremental success drives me to greater places more reflective of my true self.
As a long time member of the sailing community I have high expectations of an athletic community.  I am continually rewarded by my Rev3 Team mates and Race Directors at the caliber of competitors and race production quality!  What a fantastically fun weekend!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment